Do I like coconut? Nooope just not a flavor I’m fond of but, those freaking Thai folks just made it work.
The combination of flavors just makes you want to take another bite.
- 4cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 15-20 large uncooked shrimps peeled
- 2tbsp lime juice
- 1cup minced mushroom ( shiitake work great here)
- 3tbsp fish sauce
- 2tsp red curry paste
- 1 lemongrass stick cut in half
- ~2tbsp grated ginger
- 1tbsp brown sugar
- 2-4 Thai peppers
- (optional) rice noodles
- 1-2 cans coconut milk (should be 1 but if you made it too spicy for your taste you may need more then 1)
- If you want to add rice noodles to your soup, which I would suggest you do, cook them for 3 minutes in boiling water, drain, and reserve.
- Heat a pot over medium heat, add some oil and add the ginger, lemongrass, and curry paste. Cook for about a minute. Tip: Use a cooking rope and attach all the lemongrass together, which makes it easier to remove before serving.
- Add the broth, brown sugar, and fish sauce and stir it all together. Now it’s time to add the peppers, don’t cut them, put them whole.
- Add mushrooms and about 2/3 can of coconut milk, stir, and let cook for 5 minutes. Do a taste test, if it’s too spicy for you, add more coconut milk.
- Add the shrimps and let it cook for another 4 minutes. Remove lemongrass and whole peppers.
- If you opted for noodles, add them to the mix now. Turn heat off.
- Add the lime juice, stir and do a final taste test. Adjust with salt as needed. You can garnish with cilantro and thin lime slices for a nice finishing touch.