This is the Chinese variety but there is also the Japanese and Korean variant.
- 2-4 green onions
- 200gr flour
- 100ml boiling water
- 20ml room temperature water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt then dump the hot water in and mix again lightly. Once mix add the room temperature water. Try to make a ball with the dough then knead it for about 7 minutes. The dough will be pretty dry compared to a pizza dough so it’s easy to knead.
- Pour a little bit of oil on top of the dough and let it rest for an hour. The oil will prevent it from drying out. Cover the dough loosely.
- Chop each green onion in half, length-wise, then chop them out in small pieces.
- Lightly oil a surface to work the dough. Chop the dough into 5 pieces then shape them into a rectangle ( about 2″x4″), lightly cover the top of each dough with oil.
- You then need to roll the dough using a rolling pin. You should end up with an approximately 10-11″ per 7″ flat dough. Put about 1/5 of the green onion on top and then roll the dough in order to have a 10″ or so long roll. You then roll it back on the length, which creates a “scallion”. Repeat with the other dough.
- Now take each “scallion” and roll them using the rolling pin again, diameter should be roughly 6-7″ , don’t overstretch it or it will burst. Tip, flatten it with your hand first, it makes the job easier afterward. Repeat with each piece. At this point. you can lay them or parchment paper. put them in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer for future use. You can just throw them in a hot pan, no need to defrost.
- Heat up a pan over medium-high, add oil and fry for 2 minutes on one side then flip. You want a nice golden brown coloration. Repeat for the other scallion
There are multiple sauces you can use with, here is a quick one, just combine ingredient and you are done. Just multiply quantity as needed
- 1tsp rice vinegar
- 1tbsp water
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 1 minced garlic
- 1tbsp green onion