“it’s super super super super super good”
-Critic from famous newspaper
You need (per portion) :
- 30g dark chocolate ( ideally couverture chocolate)
- 15g 35% cream for whipping (heavy)
- 1 egg –> separate white from yolk
- 10g sugar
- vanilla extract
**WARNING**: This recipe is made with RAW eggs. Any recipe made with raw egg can potentially contain salmonella. Only use the freshest egg you can get.
Tip : To separate white from yolk when dealing with raw egg(s) you should not use the eggshell to separate them as it may potentially contain salmonella ( Yes I know I’m paranoid). Either use an egg separator or dump the full egg in a bowl and using your hand you gently grab the yolks and the white will separate and fall back in the bowl.
- First, take your chocolate and either break it or cut it into smaller pieces(if you are not using couverture), this makes the melting process easier & faster. Once that done, you need to do a bain-marie (double boiler). Make sure you dont heat (~120F) it too much or you will burn your chocolate. To achieve this, heat over medium heat, when it start melting reduce to medium low. Stir every now and then. Let it do its job slowly. When its fully melted, remove from heat.
- Heat the cream in a pot. It needs to be hot(scalding) not boiling. Dump the cream and yolk(s) in the chocolate and stir vigorously.
- In a standing mixer, you need to make a meringue with the egg white(s). Using the whisk attachment on low-medium(speed 3 or 4) start mixing the white and slowly add the sugar. You don’t want to go high speed here as it will create a large air bubble that will easily break when you fold it in later. After 2 minutes you can increase the speed to medium while you keep adding sugar. I like to add a little bit of vanilla extract at this point, it’s optional. You are done when it has stiff peaks or the consistency of shaving cream.
- Add a little of the meringue , dump it in the chocolate and mix vigorously, this will soften the chocolate and make the whole process easier. Add about 1/4 of the meringue and using a spatula, fold the meringue in the chocolate, DO NOT stir. You want to mix it together but not remove all the air pocket in the meringue.
- When it’s mixed, add another 1/4 and fold. Keep doing that until it’s all in.
- Put in the refrigerator for 60 minutes and it’s ready to go. As this content raw egg and I am paranoiac I recommend you eat it within 24 hours. Some people will tell you it can keep 3 days in the fridge… well it’s your call.
|Halfway done folding in the meringue|
Extra: Before serving, you can make a small batch of whipped cream and add it on top of your mousse, it gives a great look. Then if you are fancy, add a leaf of mint and some grated chocolate
Quick whipped cream :
- 50ml heavy cream ( 35%)
- 1 tsp sugar( optional)
- a hint of vanilla
Dump everything in a standing mixer with the whisk attachment or hand mixer on medium speed for like 2 minutes. That’s it.