When I was very young I remember my mom making the soupe aux choux. I hated it haha. I mean who likes cabbage when they are young? No one. Cabbage soup has a bad rep, it’s a poor man soup, it’s associated with weight loss and it’s classically known to make you fart!
I am referring to the movie by Louis de Funes , la Soupe aux choux. A classic of french comedy where 2 farmers make soup, farts later in the night and it “call” an alien.
- 220gr coarsely cut cabbage
- 1 large carrot sliced ( about 1/4″ thick)
- 1 diced onion
- 2 cups of broth ( traditional is chicken, but I use vegetables)
- 1 cup water
- In a large pot, put a little bit of oil and add the cabbage, carrot and onion. Soften them without colouring them for about a minute. Add the water and broth and stir.
- Do a taste test, adjust with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
That’s it! Note that this soup freeze decently well