For this recipe I highly recommend you cook the rice the day before. The following day, it’s a 15 mins total prep and cook time easy tasty weekday diner.
Lastly, I know I don’t use MSG in my rice but hopefully, Uncle Roger would approve
- 1 1/2 cup of uncooked rice ( Jasmine or Calrose rice are good options)
- 1-3 scrambled eggs
- chopped green onion
- Optional Frozen peas/carrots/etc
- 1-2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 minced shallot
- 3tbsp soy sauce
- 1tbsp oyster sauce
Be wary that if you use a gas + wok combination , time will be much shorter
- First, rinse the rice 2-3 times with cold water. This cleans the rice and removes the starch.
- In a large pot put 1 1/2 cup of uncooked rice and add 2 1/4 cup of water, put to medium-high, bring to boil. Once it boils, reduces to simmer and cover with a lid for 15mins. Remove from heat, don’t remove the cover, and let it sit 15 mins. Pour rice into container, cover with lid and put in the fridge. Ideally, let it sleep in the fridge overnight
- Put some oil a pan or wok over medium heat and add the shallot and garlic. Cook until fragrant which would be about 30-45 seconds or so. Add the scramble egg(s) , stir and cook until almost set. Add the rice in and stir making sure you break all the clumps. If you want to add frozen peas now is the time. Add the soy sauce and oyster sauce and stir it in.
- Toss in the green onion give it a little stir and serve.