During the winter months where it’s outrageously expensive, I use a different recipe with potato. This way I can cheat and use less crab 😉
- 400gr crab meat ( Ideally fresh)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2cup panko or breadcrumbs
- 3tbsp mayonnaise
- 1tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1tsp moutarde de maux or dijon
- 1tp cajun or old bay seasoning
- 1 lemon zest
- 2tsp chopped parsley or chives
- (Optional) aioli – check at bottom for quick recipe
- In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, seasoning, lemon zest, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, parsley/chives, mayonnaise, and crack some fresh pepper and a dash of salt. Add the crab meat to the party and make sure it gets all covered with the mix. Avoid making little pieces of crab meat, you want chunky pieces; with snow crab, I break the legs in 2 or 3 pieces that’s it. Add the panko until combined.
- Place parchment paper in a tray. Form 4-6 patties with the mixture and put them on the tray. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30minutes. This firms the patty up so when you manipulate them they are less fragile.
- In a pan over medium heat, add some oil. When the oil is really hot add the patties in and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remember that the crab is already cooked, you are only cooking the egg so don’t overcook. Remove and put on a paper towel to remove excess oil
You can accompany this with a tartar sauce, lemon aioli, or just plain lemon juice.
Here is the aioli, just mix all together
- ~1/2cup mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- zest of half a lemon
- 1tsp of lemon juice
- 1tsp moutarde de meaux*
- dash of salt
*not traditional, but the mustard grains give it a nice texture plus it gives a nice color to the sauce.