Never been particularly fond of lemon pie but lemons were on sale at Costco and ended up with way too many lemons… had to find something to do with them. I found this recipe online but I found it too acidic so I increased the sugar and butter. It was also missing the meringue, which I added.
- 1 disc of pate sablée ( see recipe here)
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 eggs
- 180g butter
- 180g sugar
- 200ml lemon juice ( 4-5 lemons)
(Optional) Meringue :
- 4 egg whites
- 80g sugar
- 1/2tsp lemon juice
- 1/3cup water
- First, you want to pre-bake the dough. Pre-heat the oven at 350. While it warms up, roll down your dough and place it in your pie tin. Place a parchment paper and put some pie weight or beans. Bake for 30 mins, remove from oven, remove parchment paper.
- Now remove the zest from 2 of the lemons and set aside. Juice all lemons until you have 200ml of juice. We need to do a bain-marie, I like using a mixing bowl and I just put it on top of a pot. Bring the pot to simmer, not boiling.
- In a mixing bowl, put the lemon juice, zest, all the eggs+yolks, and sugar. Whisk the mixture until combined then add the butter. Whisk until the mixture has thickened ( 8-10 mins) then dump it into the pate sablée. Level it and bake at 350F for 5-6 minutes.
- If you opted to add meringue, in a standing mix bowl, dump all the egg whites+ lemon juice and whisk them on medium for 1-2 minutes. Add about 1/3 of the sugar and whisk until combined.
- In a pot over medium heat, add the remaining sugar and water and keep heating until the mixture becomes clear. Slowly pour the mixture into the mixing bowl while mixing at low speed. You can increase speed to medium until everything is combined. That’s it, just spread on your pie, if you are any good you can make some fancy peak using a spatula
- Lastly, you can have to use a torch to brown the meringue. Come on! You didn’t buy that torch not to use it 😉