If you prefer to use frozen blueberries it works too. Just take them out of the freezer at the last second else if they start to thaw you will end up will blue muffins.
You need ( gives 6)
- 55g butter (room temp)
- 100g sugar*
- 1tsp baking powder
- 160gr flour (1 cup)
- 1 eggs
- 1/2tsp maple syrup (or vanilla extract)
- pinch salt
- 75ml milk
- ~3/4 cup blueberries
- 1tsp lemon zest (orange works well too)
- (optional)1 tbsp cane sugar for coating
*Feel free to reduce/increase the amount of sugar to your desired level. I put a tad less cause I`m sweet enough
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Using a stand mixer, cream the butter and slowly add the sugar. Add the eggs and maple syrup. Add half the flour. When it’s mixed in, add the remaining flour and milk. Keep mixing until well combined.
- Wash the blueberries and dump them in the mixing bowl you used earlier. Add a couple of tablespoon of flour in and gently toss them around in the bowl in order to give them a light coating. Transfer the blueberries( leave the extra flour in the bowl) and zest in the mix and using a spatula, gently fold them in.
- Transfer the mixture into a muffin tin with liners ( if you are lazy like me ) and bake at 375F for about 30 minutes. You can optionally sprinkle cane sugar on top of the muffin before baking them. Gives them a nice texture.
- Remove from oven and let them cool for 1 hour. To store them. put them on a container and cover with a clean dishcloth. If you seal them they will get mushy.
Want to freeze them? Simply wait till they are cooled and put the entire muffin tray in the freezer for 4-5 hours. Remove from freezer, they should be hard as a rock. Simply wrap them in plastic film and put them in a large Ziploc bag.